The best time to begin treatment is prior to conception, whether or not you are experiencing fertility challenges. To optimize your chances both for conception and for a healthy, full-term pregnancy, my goal in providing acupuncture for fertility is to nurture within you your greatest state of health, balance, and vitality. In addition to nutritional and lifestyle recommendations, fertility acupuncture treatments will focus on improving the circulation to your uterus and ovaries, optimizing the endometrial lining, regulating your period, and decreasing your overall stress levels.
When infertility is a concern, or if you have had frequent miscarriages, acupuncture for fertility treatment is in and of itself a powerful and effective treatment plan. In conjunction with Western medical Assisted Reproductive Techniques (ART), such as IVF, acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine are used both to improve success rates, as well as to decrease side-effects from the drug regimens.
An article that appeared in Prevention Magazine entitled “5 Ways Acupuncture Can Boost Fertility” was based on research conducted at New York’s Cornell Medical Center that showed that acupuncture for fertility works by:
- Regulating the menstrual cycle thus improving ovulation cycles
- Normalizing the hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian axis for ovulation so an egg is released.
- Reducing stress hormones that interfere with ovulation.
- Increase blood flow to the uterus, improving the chances of a fertilized egg implanting.
- Improve pregnancy rates in women undergoing in vitro fertilization (IVF)
- From a Traditional Chinese Medicine point of view, acupuncture for fertility addresses the basic concepts of balancing and allowing for the free flow of Qi (life force energy) and blood to the pelvic region, thus allowing for the greatest chance of success for conception and maintaining a full pregnancy.
Your acupuncture and herbal medicine treatments will start working right away to bring your body back to its optimum balance and ready for conception. Typical changes you may sense quickly include: reduction in the stresses that interfere with ovulation, regulation of menses, and a general feeling of good health. More subtle changes may eventually include a normalization of the hormones that regulate ovulation and allow an egg to be released, an increase in uterine blood flow improving chances of a fertilized egg implanting, or an improvement in ovulation cycles in women with polycystic ovary syndrome, to name a few. In sum, your fertility acupuncture treatment will work to get your body in a healthier and more balanced state, which will better lend itself to conception.
Advantages to a fertility acupuncture treatment include:
- Non-surgical / Non-invasive
- Chemical free